13102 Jones Road, Houston, Texas, 77070
(281) 897-4450 ~ FAX: (281) 897-4454
Principal: Cathy Jacobs
School Hours: 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
School Opened: 1965
Principal - Cathy Jacobs
Assistant Principals -
Kyla Mote (PK, 1st, 3rd and 5th)
Sarah Parker (K, 2nd and 4th)
Instructional Specialists - Andrea Gooch and Michele Bickham
Counselors - Heidi Rothschild and Mary Dumlao
Librarian - Karen Womack
Nurse - Victoria Suh
Front row (left to right)
Sarah Parker - Assistant Principal (K, 2nd, 4th)
Cathy Jacobs - Principal
Kyla Mote, Assistant Principal (PK, 1st, 3rd, 5th)
Middle row (left to right)
Andrea Gooch - Instructional Specialist
Michele Bickham - Instructional Specialist
Back row (left to right)
Heidi Rothschild - Counselor
Karen Womack - Librarian
Shelly Willis - Campus Secretary
The goal at Matzke is to help each child be a happy, productive, and informed citizen. This goal is achieved as staff, parents, and community work together to establish an environment which promotes high expectations and academic growth.
Curriculum - Elementary
- CFISD elementary schools are comprised of students in grades K-5. Students who qualify for the Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities or for Pre-kindergarten are bused to sites that provide these programs.
- Core subjects at the elementary level include reading, language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, technology applications, health, physical education, art, music, and theatre arts.
- Every campus faculty includes the following members: counselor(s), nurse, diagnostician, speech and language clinician, dyslexia specialists, reading specialist(s), and content-area liaisons, as well as specially trained/certified teachers in the following areas: art, music, physical education, technology applications, English as a Second Language, and gifted education.
- The District's HORIZONS program is for academically-gifted students. In kindergarten, gifted instruction is provided in language arts and mathematics. In grades 1-5, the program addresses the four foundation areas: language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
- CFISD's Bilingual and ESL programs provide additional support in English language development for students who have a home language other than English and who have been identified as limited-English-proficient.Elementary schools in Cypress-Fairbanks also feature enrichment activities such as student clubs, tutorial sessions, cultural arts programs, academic competitions, and field trips.
- Report cards are issued every nine weeks. Academic progress reports are sent to parents after the fourth week of each grading period.
(as indicated in the 2011-12 AEIS Report)
||TWO OR MORE RACES
932 students as of 9/16/13
How We Got Our Name
Matzke is named after a beloved first-grade teacher, Ernestine Matzke. Her teaching career spanned 48 years, 44 of which were spent in Cypress-Fairbanks schools. Prior to relocating to the Cypress area, Mrs. Matzke taught in Washington County from 1918 to 1922. Before the consolidation of the Cypress and Fairbanks school systems, Ms. Matzke was responsible for many rural schools joining the Cypress school district. Her last teaching assignment was at Lamkin Elementary.
The Matzke Elementary PTO meets on a regular basis. The organization funds cultural arts activities and field trips, organizes volunteers, sponsors various student events, and conducts fund-raisers, which have provided technology, landscaping, books, and playground equipment. For more information, please contact 281-897-4450.
Partnerships with the community are vital in order to strengthen instructional outcomes for all students. We would like you to develop a collaborative relationship with us that will foster long-term student achievement ... one that offers opportunities for all students ... making a difference together. For more information, please contact 281-897-4450